Chinese food: Chang's Zodiac Noodles
From P.F.Chang’s "Flavors of Yunnan” menu, Zodiac Noodles combines rice noodles with pork loin, ham, cabbage and shiitake mushrooms in a spicy Kung Pao-style sauce. Rice vermicelli noodles are available at Asian markets, or you can substitute spaghetti.
5 ounces Guilin Rice Vermicelli (or substitute spaghetti, follow recipe on package for cooking)
1 teaspoon any vegetable oil
2 teaspoons any vegetable oil
8 each chili pods
3 ounces pork loin, cut into thin strips
1 teaspoon garlic
1 1/2 ounces Yunnan ham, cut into thin strips (substitute Proscuttio or Serrano)
2 each green onion, cut into 2-3 inch sticks
1/4 cup sliced cabbage, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup Shiitake mushrooms, sliced (substitute any mushrooms)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1. Soak vermicelli in very hot water for 1 hour.
2. Bring a pot of water to a boil, add Vermicelli and boil for one minute.
3. Rinse under warm water for one minute, drain well then mix with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
4. Heat a wok over high heat until it begins to smoke (can substitute cast iron skillet or saute pan).
5. Add 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, then chili pods and pork. Then stir-fry until pork is almost done.
6. Add garlic, ham, green onion, cabbage and mushrooms then stir for 10 to 15 seconds.
7. Add vermicelli, salt, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil then stir-fry until all ingredients are mixed well.
Zodiac Noodles recipe courtesy of Amy Jones, Account Executive with Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, acting on behalf of P.F. Chang's. Recipe reprinted with permission.